Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My favorite tool from the basket!

Thanks for the encouraging comments you have been sending my way. My biggest personal task is to remain positive in my attitude. I know many of you struggle with that very thing! To remain positive and then press on to being expansive in our thinking is what will break us away from the crowd and allow us to become expectant and hopeful.

I want to continue to expand on the idea of “I am so happy and grateful” in this blog. I shared in the preceding blog about this most important “tool”. I want to break it down a bit for better understanding and for its most effective use.

The statement “I am so happy and grateful now that I have…” seems simple enough. But let’s look at the specific words and their importance. The key gratitude statement that I write and speak each day is “I am so happy and grateful now that I have a strong healthy body that heals itself quickly.” The use of the word ‘now’ is very critical. It says that I’m experiencing this benefit in this moment rather than some time in the future!

If I have a headache I could say, “Well, I can’t write this today, because it’s not true for me at this moment.” But I have learned that it’s important for me to write and say it especially when I am not feeling well. I make the statement and at the same time I make choices in speeding my recovery such as massaging my temples, taking a nap or maybe taking an aspirin. I participate in the Truth of the statement and it becomes my reality. So today, I might have a strong healthy body that is experiencing a headache. I will accept the strong healthy body that heals itself quickly. I make this choice “now’. My statement helps me change my attitude and my actions to make this a true statement in this moment.

The words ‘I have’ are important as well. They are a formal claim. If I state that ‘I have’ a strong healthy body that heals itself quickly I have stated that these aspects are mine. I won this body. I will not hesitate to own this gift of a strong healthy body. I will claim it and offer my gratitude. ‘I have’ is a strong statement of ownership and gratitude.

When I first used this tool I was only willing to claim the strong, healthy body, and I ended my statement there. I was actually experiencing some health problems at the time and at some point I realized this was a static view of myself. I wanted something dynamic, with the possibility of change. I also knew I wanted my Creator’s participation in the constant healing and health of my body. So I added the words “that heals itself quickly”. This gave a new power to the statement. I now claim a body that renews itself, remakes itself, and heals itself. I see myself as a part of the unfolding of God’s continuing creation. I am acknowledging and being grateful with this statement every day.

And so in the writing of these statements my understanding of prayer has changed too. Where I once begged and pleaded, I now focus on being happy and grateful. When I begin to feel sorry for myself or feel afraid, I rush to the words of “I am so happy and grateful now that I have”. If it’s a really bad day, I write a page of these. I repeat them often.
“I am so happy and grateful now that I have a strong healthy body that heals itself quickly” is the statement that I always begin with in my daily writing. I am working on adding a new constant statement regarding finances, one of my favorite worries. I’ll let you know how that goes!

Well, I am happy and grateful for your attention to this blog! I’ll be interested in knowing how your use of the gratitude page and “I’m so happy and grateful now that…” makes a difference in your life!

5 comments:

  1. Finances are a favorite worry of mine also! I look forward to when you get it down. I find that as we get older (wiser?) our bodies tend to let us down sometimes. I stay positive in a similar way to your way. I start counting my blessings.Once I start I find I cannot stop. I am still in the process of trying to remember what to say at the start of each day that you gave us. I will keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great "tool" of empowerment! I am happy and thankful that I now have a great blog to read!
    To know that all we have to do is tell ourself the truth about ourself and it seems to become the truth. This can work for the good and for the bad. How often do we say "I'm tired so I can't..."? or I'm this or I'm that? It becomes the truth. So, tell yourself the truth! Tell yourself you are a strong vibrant woman that is blessed with...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things that occurred to me as I read your blog is how grateful I am for my body - it is amazing that it continues to function as well as it does in spite of my neglect of it. I also realize that I tend to define myself by my health. Your comments help me know that I have to get past any momentary health issues and into a spirit of gratitude for all that IS going well, even to the point resilience and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something I have done for awhile now is to start my prayers with "Thank-you for the (fill-in)you are about to bring into my life. I know it will be just right for me and I am ready for it." I do this instead of "Please give me (fill-in.)" There is a bending to the Universe (God)and a willingness to accept gifts you may not have known you could have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks on this one! I've recently caught myself worrying about an issue and doing the praying and pleading and mad at God attitude. I finally decided to be at peace and grateful in my prayers and things started happening! Also - on the finances subject... I wrote at the top of all my new 2009 calendars - 2009 My Year of Prosperity as an affirmation. Pam Fitz

    ReplyDelete