Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Five Impossible Things

One of the ways that we limit ourselves is by thinking about only what is possible! We rely on our own knowledge, our family of origin, our culture and our personal experience to decide what is possible. In doing this we keep our thoughts within a small range of possibility. We may use our imagination for our entertainment, but nothing more. In our old way of thinking, impossible things are a waste of time. Thinking of impossible things is for children. Thinking of impossible things may lead to disappointment!

So what is your life like, staying within the realm of possibility? Are you having fun? Has anything new or exciting happened in your life in the last ten years? Would you want to create the possibility of impossibility? Oh, that is scary, isn’t it? Becoming open to impossibility would be like opening a door to a dark passage that leads to the unknown. It could be dangerous there! If you enter you might never come back! Or if you go down that path, you might return as someone entirely different! See what our thoughts do to us?

In the classic story, Alice in Wonderland, Alice has a conversation with the Red Queen. The Red Queen tells Alice something to which Alice replies “That is impossible!” The Red Queen responds that she always thinks of 5 impossible things before breakfast! The Red Queen was an expansive thinker! She exercised her mind each morning by thinking of 5 impossible things before breakfast!

A seemingly magic thing begins to happen when we expand our thinking to impossible things! We have seen it demonstrated just this week as our nation inaugurated a new president. A common response of those interviewed after witnessing this historic event was one of overwhelming emotion. More than once I heard an adult say, with tears in their eyes, “Now I know that it is possible for my son or daughter to be anything they want to be.” This has always been the truth. But this year and this week millions of people have experienced first hand the transforming thought that the impossible (as it had been in their mind) was suddenly possible.

What can occur when a generation of people begins to see the impossible become possible? Many exciting things! We may be experiencing a time of trouble and crisis in our nation, but we are also on the brink of a very exciting time of opportunity and possibility!

Exercise in Expansive Thinking - At least one morning this week take 10 minutes to write down your own list of 5 Impossible Things!

I have learned that in making this list I begin to sow seeds into the Universe for even the Impossible to happen. And I begin to live expectantly. As a result I begin to live as if those Impossible Things are not so impossible at all. The Universe is composed of millions of things that are impossible in one way of thinking. But there was a way of thinking that allowed the Universe and everything in it to become reality. And you and I have access to that powerful thinking!

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Pat,
    I haven't done this exercise yet but it is an answer to a prayer/thought last week. I bought a movie last year called "WHat the bleep do we know: down the rabbit hole! " And it is about the things that have been discovered in quantum physics and how it applies to our lives. A friend loaned me the movie the Secret and it is about the Universal Law of Attraction. All that I have been learning over the last several years, seems to be pointing in the direction of Ask and ye shall receive" and "instead of asking why or why me, to ask WHy not.
    Most of your and Russ' blogs dovetail right along with all of the other messages I have been getting from the Universe. It is amazing how it is so prevalent now and coming from diverse places.
    I had just thought that I wanted some way to begin applying my new way of thinking outside the box and self limiting view. I tend to be an exercise /homework kind of person and here you are with one of my first answers.
    Just wanted you guys to know you are still on my mind, in my life and part of the greater process. Thanks and I love you. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Now I know that it is possible for my son or daughter to be anything they want to be.”

    After George W. was elected the second time, a lot of folks said that just proves that anyone can be president!

    Just kidding. I am a fan of the Red Queen, however; she's a very decisive sort.

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the mantras I've had for several years is, "I dwell in possibilties," As I did the exercise and listed my impossibilties, it makes a difference in how I regard the seeds I sow into the universe. Thanks, Pat, for your insight and perspective.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true Pat! I'm sure many people don't realize that if you even have impossible in your mind then you'll never be able to explore what your capabilities are. I'm going to do this today. :)

    ReplyDelete